ABOUT THE BOOK SHOP
A Fixture on the Lee-on-the-Solent High Street for almost 80 years, The Book Shop is arguably the oldest shop in the village, and probably the oldest surviving independent bookseller on the South Coast. In 1933, Leonard Miles opened a florist’s shop at 142 High Street with a small lending library, which later that year evolved into a bookshop.
Flowers out, books in! In the 1950s and 1960s, the shop was owned by Thomas Clague “bookseller and stationer”. In recent decades Mr. & Mrs. Pollard, Mr. & Mrs. Adams, Tony & Jean Wilson, and Charlie & Maureen Excell have been proprietors.
In 2004 Rick Barter took over the book shop and transformed it into the essential shop it is today with Jan Watkins and Tim Seward.
Jan and Tim still work at The Book Shop but in 2018 Sarah Veal (a Potterhead) took over as the new and current owner. The shop continues just as it did before and prides itself in finding anything a customer needs. If we don’t have it … we’ll find it.